Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Holiday!

Not the average font colour, but hey, it's almost my favourite time of the year! Oh, this week's sweetie is...

Also known as Karen Vaughn, this amazing lady is the best mother, life coach, and most talented person ever! Love you momma!^^
Check out her blog here!

So my favourite holiday is coming up and I am super duper excited, but there's one trend that's popped upthat I'd like to address...

Now  before I start, allow me to share with you some vital information:

Halloween (or Hallowe'en, Hallow's Eve, or All Saints' Eve) is a yearly celebration observed on the 31 of October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallow's Day.It begins the three day observance of Allhallowtide, which is the time of the lithurgical year (the church year) dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (aka hallows), martyrs, and departed religiously faithful believers.
Now, this is where things get interesting.
The tradition of trick or treating as it is known in America today was likely started by Irish immigrants to the country in the 1800s. By then the traditions of mumming and souling were more or less forgotten and unobserved back in Britain and Ireland. Trick or treating and general costuming were barely mentioned in American culture until after the 1930s. More than likely, the traditions of mumming and souling were somehow merged together in various festivities surrounding Halloween in America. Because the most common association with Halloween is that of honoring the dead, supernatural festivities became associated with the holiday. This eventually morphed into costume parties with partygoers dressing as various supernatural creatures. Halloween has long been a source of consternation for religious organizations, with many decrying it as a Satanic or evil holiday despite its partially Catholic roots.(Find the rest of the article here.)

So next time you hear someone say they don't celebrate Halloween because it's "Devil Worshipping", you can disprove them.

Another thing I've been noticing is the sexualization of female costumes. And everything is being sexualized!

From tacos

        Really?
To Chinese hot sauce,

C'mon now...

Now, I'm all for fun on the holidays, but when you also see people making fun of Latinos,

Eating Disorders,



And people's identities,

That's when it becomes a bit much people. I mean I don't want to be the person to tell you what you can and can't dress like on Halloween, that's not up to me, but please be aware that some of these things may be offensive, crude, or even triggers for some people. That being said, I'm simply going as something my mother loves to do, so she's agreed to help me this year (Thanks mum)! I will simply be: A doll.
Also, I'm not one to parent other people's children, but parents: also be aware that your child is your responsibility Please know that there are people who may want to hurt your child. It may sound dumb and clichè, but please be sure to check your kid's candy. if the wrapper is open, I would advise you not to trust it but hey, I'm not here to tell you how to parent...

So, the moral of the story is this:

Enjoy the holidays, but please be aware that some costumes may be triggers for someone going through a difficult time. Also, be sure to keep your child's safety in mind. Some people may try to take your kids, so always remember to stay close to the little ones and check for opened wrappers.

Happy Hallow's Eve everyone!

~Marzipan♥
An unfinished example of my makeup this year.
Happy Hallow's Eve everyone!

2 comments:

  1. You make a FABULOUS doll and your mannerisms while in costume are great!
    Thanks for picking me as your sweetie - I know it's not Valentine's Day (one of my favourite holidays) but you're my sweetie every day! <3

    ReplyDelete