Friday, October 16, 2015

The What?

So a term I throw around a lot is 'Xenophilia', and I frequently get asked what that is.

To put it simply, Xenophily or xenophilia is an affection towards something unknown or foreign. So, using my awesome power of words, let's break it down:


Xenophilia
                        "xenos" (ξένος)                       "philia" (φιλία)
              Greek for stranger/unknown/foreign             Greek for love/attraction
learn something new everyday, don't we kiddos?

Now  how did I come to proudly label myself as someone who is attracted to foreign mannerisms, societies, and people? That takes us back to my eighth grade year...*queue flashback-harp music*

I was just lazing around on the internet (not much has changed in that aspect...), when I came across the Books-A-Million website. Considering I could live off the sheer rush that a new book brings me, I decided to do a bit of browsing and stumbled across a certain genre I had never even heard of: Anime.
Before anyone goes thinking that I was some kind of arrogant tart when I was twelve (I might have been thirteen, I don't remember), you'd be quite wrong: in my sixth and seventh grade years, I was obsessed with geography and history, to the point where if you put a gold jackal-headed statue in front of me, I could tell you it was found in 1922 by British archaeologist Howard Carter in the tomb of Tutankhamen, the boy-pharaoh who ruled Egypt from 1332 until his death in 1323 BC, and the statue was of the Embalming god of Death Anubis, who was the god who helped to embalm Osiris after he was killed by Seth. I could also tell you that in Japanese culture, the "Seppuku" was a form of ritual suicide that involved taking a small knife covered in cloth and slicing the abdominal area from left to right. If a samurai did something dishonourable, they were captured in battle, or a battle was lost, they would usually perform Seppuku in front of a large audience.
With this eccentric form of Japanese drawing now captivating my tiny little mind, I strolled through the shelves of our local Books-A-Million with my family until I found it, a backwards comic book with red fonts and three characters staring into my eyes: Matsuri Hino's Vampire Knight. So naturally, I ran over to my mom and begged her to buy it for me, and she did (thanks, mom!). I finished the book in three hours, which was long enough to pump me up to learn about even more cultures, including but not limited to England, Japan, China, Korea, and Sweden.


...So..yeah...

Anyways, I know I throw a label on myself, but it's a label I'm proud of. It's not even people (S/N: people are more attracted to those with an accent), it's history that I'm attracted to. So, the longer and richer a country's history, the more interesting I find it.

So the moral(?) is this:

Don't let anyone label you, instead label yourself. Don't be afraid to say that you're a history buff, or you're athletic, girly, nerdy, smart, whatever! Be comfortable in your skin, be proud of who you are! And if someone makes fun of you for your passions, then compliment them on their passions!

Stay sweet everyone!

Before I end this, I'd like to say something:

In order to make these fun instead of making it seem like I'm just lecturing or telling random stories (which I am), I've decided to start picking a sweetie of the week! This week, leave a comment on this blurb telling me your favourite candy, and if it's my favourite, then you'll be the first sweetie!

Stay sweet everyone!
~Marzipan♥

2 comments:

  1. SKITTLES! No - not really. My favorite is almost anything unfortunately =D

    And I didn't know what Xenophilia really was until now =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud to be a nerdy, soccer mom, Susie Homemaker, textile geek... Okay, I'll stop.

    Nutrageous bars are the best candy ever. You don't even know.

    ReplyDelete