Friday, November 27, 2015

Question Corner with Marzipan!

Well, at least I didn't forget to post on time this week! It's time for
That will never get old!
So for anyone that may be new here (hi!) or simply has no idea what this is, QCwM is something I post every Friday answering a question that someone asks me. It could be on the street, through an email, or even a comment on the blurb, so please don't be afraid to ask me any kind of question! This blog is about adulthood you know... So, on with the question which comes from my loving sister and she asked me:

Do you think kids you play violent video games lead to kids being more prone to violent outbursts, or is violence more internalized and most parents need an alternative answer than "My child needs help."?

So this is something I see pop up quite often, the whole "I don't want my kid to be violent so therefore (s)he will not play violent video games" thing, and I have news for these parents:
Your precious little gem is going to be exposed to violence everyday.

Now, a little fun fact for you guys: Children are very much "monkey see monkey do", meaning they will pick up and imitate anything they see as being a 'grown-up' or 'mature' way of acting, which is why you see a ton of kids like this
And yes, she's giving the finger...
Now, before anyone tries to bomb me on this, please take note that it is not up to me to parent your child and I am not telling you how to parent. Someone asked me a question and I'm simply answering it. I'd also like to say that no, I am not a parent and as of now don't plan to have my own children. Back to the topic at hand...

Young children pick up on every single little thing you do. From the way you speak to the way you walk, children are like little sponges that soak up every single thing you do, and they don't discriminate because they don't really know the difference between right and wrong. A flip of the bird is the equivalent of smiling at someone and telling them to have a nice day. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that they can't really distinguish the difference between right and wrong.

In the sense of video games, it's sort of the same thing. The less true and raw reality you expose your kids to, be it good or bad, the harder time they're going to have when it comes to fantasy and reality. Given the circumstances surrounding my childhood, which I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy, It was very easy for me to distinguish between my imagination and reality, but for most kids especially today that would be hard considering how much times have changed from '97 or even '05. Disciplining your children is seen as 'child abuse', they'll always find a way around parental censors, and for some reason a temper tantrum is a means to getting what you want if mummy or daddy say 'No you can't have the new iPhone Timothy, and I don't care if Mrs. Fieldston just got Justin one for his birthday.'

Now, to put it simply...
Children tend to blur the lines of reality and fantasy, so with today's games I imagine that violent video games would not be healthy for a young mind. As for the parents, it's not up to me to tell you how to do your job as a parent, but please be aware your actions will affect your child later down the line. Trust me...

Well, that was interesting! Be sure to leave me comments below, if you know me irl, feel free to ask me a question, or drop a question in my ask on Tumblr which is cutecoffeeandmarzipannn!

Stay sweet everyone!
~Marzipan♥

No comments:

Post a Comment