Friday, November 6, 2015

The Question!

So I took to Instagram and Facebook and asked you guys to ask me some questions, and one question I got was from crochet2002 asking:


How do you stay true to self when the world wants us to conform to its ideals of normal?

Now, I don't like to speak for everyone, so I'm just going to answer this in my own perspective and you can tell me what you think in the comments. That being said, let's consider a few facts about me:

A.) I have always loved culture.
B.) My favourite genre of music is in another language.
C.) I am as stubborn as my mother. (hi mum)

Now...story time:

I have always been one to follow my own way. For as long as I can remember, I've never been one to conform to America's ideas of "normal" (mainly because they've never been normal to me). The greatest story I have goes back to kindergarten.
You know how most kindergarten classrooms have a kitchen set? You know, with a window, a sink, and a refrigerator what has plastic eggs, lettuce, and a teddy bear in it? Then you have the three best friends that like to always play "House", with a mum, a dad, and a baby.
When recess rolled around, my friends and I immediately ran to the wooden kitchen. "Okay, Marzipan*, you be the mom and I'll be the dad, and Britney* can be the baby." My friend Austin* told me. "Okay, I'm going to work now-"
"Now hang on," I interjected. "why do I have to be a stay-at-home mom? Why can't I go to work?" I demanded. Half of the class fell silent.
"Because that's what mom's do, they stay home and watch over the baby and cook dinner." He said. Keep in mind this is kindergarten, so I was probably like four or five.
"Well, my mom is at the hospital right now taking care of people. She doesn't stay home unless she's really really sick."
"But Britney can't stay home by herself!"
"She likes lettuce and eggs and be sure to put her in her bed so she can sleep, now if you're done I've gotta go be a police officer." And I walked off.
Dumbfounded, little Austin looked toward the teacher and I remember just hearing her laugh and then, a very faint squeaky voice... "...Wahhh...?" 
And that's the story of the first time I ever did something out of the norm and smashed the stereotypical gender roles at age five.

So the moral of the story is this:
Be who you feel comfortable being. Don't let society tell you what is right and what is wrong, and don't feel pressure to be perfect in a world that sees perfection in a magazine rather than in the heart. You are your own canvas who is free to paint whatever picture you want.

This was a really fun question to think about, and I really enjoyed answering it! Leave me some more and we might be able to make this a weekly thing!

Stay sweet everyone!
~Marzipan♥

2 comments:

  1. Do other cultures begrudge different races as badly as Americans tend to do? Or is the typical American bigotry a direct result of a diversified culture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lettuce, eggs and a teddy bear?!?!?! I lol'd for real =D

    Let's take the idea of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" as is found in today's political field. Do you think our politicians should expect something extra in return for their backing of certain projects? (For example: You help me build a bridge and I'll help you clean up the river" (not a real political concern - it's just an example))

    ReplyDelete