Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Christmas!

Hey everyone! So I'm not going to lie to you, I didn't really do  anything this week... except obviously change the layout of the blog, but that's already gotten it's own (late night) blurb.

But if you couldn't tell, this is one of my favourite times of the year! I love the idea of fairy lights, warm drinks, Holiday candies and music, and just being around friends and family! However there is one thing I can't stand and that's the thought of a child thinking that they won't get a Christmas because times are hard and mummy or daddy might not be able to afford a gift.

This is the main reason that I always give at least my pocket change to the Salvation Army red kettles that are in front of most shops and shopping centres. Also because I remember as a child, most of my clothes were hand-me-downs. My mum(hi mum) worked as hard as she could until her health caught up with her, and even then I knew that food on the table or her medicine was to come before the new Holiday Barbie 2002.

Now...if there's one thing I've been noticing in the recent years, it's this: kids feel entitled to Christmas gifts. I don't want to be rude and parents: if you can afford whatever your kid wants, I'm not one to tell you what and what not to get your kid for Christmas.
But kids, read this carefully: the only thing you are entitled to is the love of your family. That's it. You are not entitled to an iPhone if your parents are struggling to pay bills, you are not entitled to a car if your family is living check to check. And if you really do want these things, earn them. If you are of age, get a job. Earn your own money and buy them yourself. If you aren't of age to get a job, then the only thing you need a phone for is calling your family and emergency services when needed. A flip phone, sure! iPhone, nah...Education first kids!

Again, parents: I am merely expressing an opinion. If you don't like it then you don't like it, it's not up to me to parent your kids. However, if there's one thing my mother and father have taught me it's this, which is also the moral of today's story:

Parents: if your kid wants it but you can't afford it, don't feel obligated to get it. Wouldn't you say it's a little more important to have a roof over your head and food in your belly than a $600 phone?

Kids: Christmas is about spending time with your family and celebrating [insert religious holiday here]. It's not about getting toys, electronics, whatever. If you want it that bad, earn it. You're not entitled to Christmas presents. They are GIFTS, not REWARDS.

Stay sweet everyone!
~Marzipan♥

No comments:

Post a Comment