Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Inspiration! (A Spiritual Successor to the Talent!)

Hey everyone! So people ask me all the time "Where do you get your inspiration for writing?", and the answer is simple: to me, inspiration is everywhere.

That's one great thing about writing. If you step outside of your comfort zone and think outside of your box, you can find the happiest things in life can also be the cruelest.


The one thing I love to do for inspiration is listen to people, study their faces and movements, and really formulate a story from that. Let me give you an example from one of my favourite movies - Avengers: Age of Ultron.



In this scene, take note of the look on Thor's face when Mjölnir barely nudges when Steve (that's Capt. America) tries to pick up the hammer. Now I realize that in the original comics, Steve can wield Mjölnir and that might just be a reference to said comic, but that's an entirely different blurb for an entirely different day.

Now, write down what you think Thor is thinking when he sees his hammer nudge. Is it worry, jealousy, pride, fear, happiness? When you can do that, then you can do something like this:

Thor looked to them from his seat on the couch, a drink in his hand and a smile adorning his rugged face.
"If I lift it, do I get to rule Asgard?" Stark asked, his hand firmly gripping the handle of Thor's mighty weapon.
"Yes, of course." He assured, smirking as he took a drink of his beer.
"I will be fair, but firmly cruel." Stark assured, placing his foot on the corner of the table and heaving in vain: Mjölnir remained. "Be right back.." he mumbled, returning with the arm attachment to his suit.

Now, that's only the part of it, and all of that was just from watching. If anyone wants me to continue with that I will! ^^

The other way I get inspiration is through tea, and different teas have different stories to me! Here are a few of my favourites:

Hibiscus tea with Peppermint, which helps with stomach aches, constipation/gas, heart and blood pressure, and respiratory and throat health.
Dandelion tea is very good at reducing water weight, promoting Liver health, preventing UTIs, and can even be used as a natural coffee substitute! 


Earl Grey Tea has many health benefits, including being good for your teeth, helping to improve digestion, fighting anxiety and depression, giving you energy, helping to prevent cancer and heart disease, weight loss,providing stress and cold relief, and keeping you hydrated!

Now, given these teas and their health benefits, I always try to work that into a story whenever I can, but drinking and even smelling these teas can spark an idea; a floral smell may give you an idea of a romantic comedy set in England's spring, or a spicy smell may give you an idea for a holiday drama set in New York during the December months.

So I guess the moral of this story is:
Play with your senses! Explore, take time to get to know your surroundings, and use these things to your advantage! The world is teeming with so many ideas to be found, but it's up to you to find them!

Stay sweet everyone!
~Marzipan♥

1 comment: