Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Wizard! (Mindless Rambling with Pan)

Hey everyone! So I was mindlessly browsing through Pinterest like I usually do and suddenly I came across the Harry Potter fandom and found this Tumblr post:
So in case you can't tell, let me explain this for you: this man is shown in The Leaky Cauldron in the third movie if I remember correctly. If you look closely, he is seen reading "A Brief History of Time" by Steven Hawking, while doing WANDLESS MAGIC. Now there are other instances of wizards performing wandless magic in this pub, as seen when the gentleman wipes off the table and stacks the chairs.
I don't have a problem with this, in fact this really piques my interest in the sense that neither Harry Potter nor He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named performs wandless magic, and the fact that if you read the books before watching all the movies, you know that there is an Elderwand out there.
So why is it that the two most powerful wizards in the wizarding world can't perform this type of magic? That's my question.

Also: he is reading "A Brief History of Time" by Steven Hawking. So now, here's my other question: in the wizarding world, are there things that magic can't explain, or is he reading this just as a luxury? Or better yet: was he a muggle-born that refused to let go of the science that the Muggle world had taught him?

It's just really interesting to see that background characters can perform a type of magic that two of the most powerful wizards couldn't, and one of them is grasping something that seems to be an irrelevant form of information in the world where magic could explain everything...

~Marzipan♥

1 comment:

  1. I think he's reading it the same way I read James Patterson and Janet Evanovich ... fiction ... maybe this is "science" fiction in the wizarding world? =D Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete